Third Enoch Chapter One
1. When I ascended on high to behold The Vision of the Chariot, and had entered the six Halls, one within the other.
2. As soon as I reached the door of the Seventh Hall, I stood still in prayer before the Holy One, blessed be He, and lifting up my eyes on high (i.e. toward the Divine Majesty), I said:
3. "Lord of the Universe, I pray thee, that the merit of Aaron, son of Amram, the lover of peace and the pursuer of peace, who has received the crown of priesthood from "The Glory" (Shekinah) on the mount of Sinai, be valid for me in this hour, so that Qafsiel, the prince, and the angels with him may not get power over me nor throw me down from the Heavens."
4. Forthwith the Holy One, blessed be He, sent me to Metatron, His servant, the angel, the Prince of the Presence; and he, spreading his wings, with great joy came to meet me so as to save me from their hand.
5. And he took by his hand in their sight, saying to me: "Enter in peace before the high and exalted King and behold the vision of the Chariot."
6. Then I entered the Seventh Hall, and he led me to the camp of Shekinah and placed me before the Holy One, blessed be He, to behold the Chariot.
7. As soon as the princes of the Chariot and the flaming Serafim perceived me, they fixed their eyes upon me. Instantly trembling and shuddering seized me and I fell down and was benumbed by the radiant image of their eyes and the splendid appearance of their faces; until the Holy One, blessed be He, rebuked them saying:
8. "My servants, my Serafim, my Kerubim, and my Ofanim! Cover ye your eyes before Ishmael, my son, my friend, my beloved one and my glory, that he tremble not nor shudder!"
9. Forthwith Metatron, the Prince of the Presence, came and restored my spirit and put me upon my feet.
10. After that (moment) there was not in me strength enough to say a song before the Throne of Glory of the Glorious King, the mightiest of all kings, the most excellent of all princes, until after the hour had passed.
11. After one hour (had passed) the Holy One, blessed be He, opened to me the gates of the Shekinah, the gates of Peace, the gates of Wisdom, the gates of Strength, the gates of Power, the gates of Speech, the gates of Song, the gates of Qedusha, and the gates of Chant.
12. And he enlightened my eyes and my heart by words of psalm, song, praise, exaltation, thanksgiving, extolment, glorification, hymn, and eulogy. And as I opened my mouth, uttering a song before the Holy One, blessed be He, the Holy Chayot beneath and above the Throne of Glory answered and said: "Holy" and "Blessed be the glory of the Lord YHVH from His Place!" (i.e. chanted the "Qedusha").
Third Enoch Chapter Four
"METATRON IS IDENTICAL WITH ENOCH WHO WAS TRANSFORMED AND ASCENDED TO Heaven AT THE TIME OF THE FLOOD."
1. I asked Metatron and said to him: " Why art thou called by the Name of Thy Creator, by seventy Names? Thou art greater than all the princes, higher than all the angels, beloved more than all the servants, honored above all the mighty ones in kingship, greatness, and glory. Why do they call thee 'Youth' in the high Heavens?"
2. He answered me and said to me: "Because I am Enoch, the son of Yared."
3. "For when the generations of the Flood sinned and were confounded in their deeds, saying unto God (Job 21.14): "Depart from us, for we desire not the knowledge of Thy ways." Then the Holy One, blessed be He, removed me from their midst to be a witness against them in the high Heavens to all the inhabitants of the world, that they may not say: "The Merciful One is cruel'."
4. Hence, the Holy One, blessed be He, lifted me up in their lifetime before their eyes to be a witness against them to the future world. And the Holy One, blessed be He, assigned me as a prince and a ruler among the ministering angels.
5. In that hour three of the ministering angels, Uzza, Azza, and Azzael came forth and brought charges against me in the high Heavens, saying before the Holy One, blessed be He: "Said not the Ancient Ones (First Ones) rightly before Thee: Do not create man!"
The Holy One, blessed be He, answered and said unto them (Isaiah 46.4): "I have made and I will bear, yea, I will carry and will deliver."
6. As soon as they saw me, they said before Him: "Lord of the Universe! What is this one that he should ascend to the height of heights? Is he not one from among the sons of (the sons of) those who perished in the days of the Flood? What doeth he in the Firmament (raqia)?"
7. Again the Holy One, blessed be He, answered and said to them: "What are ye, that ye enter and speak in My Presence? I delight in this one more than in all of you, and hence he shall be a prince and a ruler over you in the high Heavens."
8. Forthwith all stood up and went out to meet me, prostrated themselves before me and said: "Happy art thou and happy is thy father for thy Creator doth favor thee."
9. And because I am small and a youth among them in days, months, and years, therefore they call me "Youth" (Na'ar).
Third Enoch Chapter Ten
"GOD PLACES METATRON ON A THRONE AT THE DOOR OF THE SEVENTH HALL AND ANNOUNCES THROUGH THE HERALD THAT METATRON IS HENCEFORTH GOD'S REPRESENTAVE AND RULER OVER ALL THE PRINCES OF THE KINGDOMS AND ALL THE CHILDREN OF Heaven, EXCEPT THE EIGHT PRINCES TO WHOSE NAMES ARE AFFIXED THE NAME OF THEIR KING YHVH."
Rabbi Ishmael said: "Metatron, Prince of the Presence, said to me:
1. "All these things the Holy One, blessed be He, made for me: He made me a Throne, similar to the Throne of Glory." And He spread over me a curtain of splendor and brilliant appearance, of beauty, grace, and mercy, similar to the curtain of the Throne of Glory; and on it were fixed all kinds of lights in the universe.
2. And He placed it at the door of the Seventh Hall and seated me on it.
3. And the herald went forth into every Heaven, saying: "This is Metatron, my servant. I have made him into a prince and a ruler over all the princes of my kingdoms and over all the presence and you shall speak to him now instead of me." (Advent of the "Lesser Yahweh").
5. "And every command that he utters to you in My Name do ye observe and fulfill. For the Prince of Wisdom and the Prince of Understanding have I committed to him to instruct him in the wisdom of Heavenly things and of earthly things, in the wisdom of the world and of the world to come."
6. "Moreover, I have set him over all the stores of life that I have in the high Heavens."
Third Enoch Chapter Forty One
"Metatron Shows Rabbi Ishmael the Letters Engraved on the Throne of Glory by Which Letters Everything In The Earth Has Been Created."
Rabbi Ishmael said: Metatron, the Angel, the Prince of the Presence said to me:
1. "Come and behold the letters by which Heaven and the earth were created,
the letters by which were created the mountains and hills,
the letters by which were created the seas and rivers,
the letters by which were created the trees and herbs
the letters by which were created the planets and constellations,
the letters by which were created the globe of the moon and the globe of the sun,
Orion, Pleides, and all the different luminaries of Firmament (raqia)."
2. "The letters by which were created the Throne of Glory and the Wheels of the Chariot, the letters by which were created the necessities of the worlds;
3. The letters by which were created wisdom, understanding, knowledge, prudence, meekness, and righteousness by which the whole world is sustained."
4. And I walked by his side and he took me by his hand and raised me upon his wings and showed me those letters, all of them, which are graven with a flaming style on the Throne of Glory. And sparks go forth from them and cover all the chambers of Araboth.
The next most common place where the Metatron is described is in the book of First Enoch, which was only recently discovered with the Dead Sea Scrolls. This was by design and at just the right time in history to introduce me. In First Enoch, the Metatron is called "The Ancient Of Days".
Main Menu Or to return to exactly where you came from hit the Left Arrow Button in the upper left corner of your browser.